There are many resources available to help you prepare for your short-term mission experience. You will be provided with training and resources from GO and your team leader. For those who want to go deeper in preparation, this list has resources to help you understand the biblical basis of missions, the history of missions, and missions strategy
Suggestions for further readings in missions:
- Let the Nations Be Glad by John Piper. This book gives a good overview of the biblical basis for missions as well as challenge and inspiration for involvement.
- Radical by David Platt. This book challenges us to live a missional lifestyle wherever we are.
- From Jerusalem to Irian Jayra by Ruth Tucker. This book gives some good missions history.
- The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken. An exciting look at what God is doing in the hardest places for Christ followers in the world.
- Bruchko by Bruce Olson.
- Peace Child, by Don Richardson
- Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret, Howard Taylor
- End of the Spear, Steve Saint
- Miracle at Tenwek, Gregg Lewis
- Cross Cultural Connections, Duane Elmer
- Cultural Intelligence, David Livermore
Ministry to the poor
- The Hole in Our Gospel, Richard Stearns
- When Helping Hurts, Steve Corbett and Brian Fikert
- Walking with the Poor, Bryant Myers
Preparation for Missions Service
- Thriving in Cross-cultural Ministry, Carissa Alma
- On Being a Missionary, Thomas Hale
- Preach and Heal, Charles Fielding. This book reviews the overall goal and different approaches to medical missions.
- Multiplying Light and Truth, Stan Rowland. this book gives the background for our Community Health Evangelism ministry.